The Paul J. Trageser Council 10910 Knights of Columbus in Chapel Hill, NC is one of 17,000 Knights of Columbus Councils that make up the world’s largest Catholic fraternal service organization. Founded in 1882 to assist working-class and immigrant Catholics in the United States, today the approximately two million members of the Knights put their faith into action through a broad range of charitable causes locally, nationally and internationally with financial contributions and hands-on service.
The Paul J. Trageser Council 10910 was founded on June 17, 1992 by the members of the St. Thomas More Men’s Club. The parish of St. Thomas More started as a chapel for the University of North Carolina and the Catholic community of Chapel Hill. The first structure was built off Gimghoul Rd. on land donated by a parishioner. The church was built in the 1950’s and supported the small and loyal Catholic community of Chapel Hill.
Prior to the Paul J. Trageser Council 10910, knights were members of the Durham council where they participated in fellowship and fraternalism. As the parish grew and eventually the council being founded, the parish outgrew the original church and moved to the existing parish location at 940 Carmichael Rd. The parish was dedicated in 1998 and has since then expanded today with the South Campus St. John Fischer Chapel dedicated in 2019.
The knights have been involved with the support of the parish through the process of renovations and purchase of supplies. Knights are always asking the parish how we can support the parish and school.
The council gets the name from Sir Knight Paul J. Trageser, who led the community in the late 1980’s to create a council in Chapel Hill because of the explosive growth of Catholics in North Carolina. Paul J. Trageser unfortunately passed away prior to founding of the council that would later bear his name. The council was named in his honor as a way to show the gratitude for being an ideal catholic gentleman and father. Paul balanced building his family and the church community in the service of the Lord.
The Charter members who founded the council in 1992 are listed below along with our Past Grand Knights and awards for service.
- Grand Knight Juan Alva
- Chaplain Rev. Phillip Leach
- Deputy Grand Knight Thomas Chegash
- Chancellor Eugene Drogos
- Recorder Joseph McGowan
- Financial Secretary Oldarico Datiles
- Treasurer Donald T. Smith
- Advocate William Burke
- Warden Paul Fiorentino
- Trustee George Winston
- Trustee Drew Melvin
- Trustee Edward Gil
Current Grand Knight
- William “Bill” Jackson (2020 – 2021)
Past Grand Knights
- Chris Kremer (2018 – 2020)
- Jim Boyd (2017 – 2018)
- Newton Grant (2015 – 2017)
- Matthew Raynor (2012 – 2015)
- John Felton (2010 – 2012)
- Jim Boyd (2008 – 2010)
- Ralph “Gil” Montoya (2006 – 2008)
- William “Bill” Jackson (2003 – 2006)
- Steve Kornic (2001 – 2003)
- Terrence “Terry” Tinker (2000 – 2001)
- Philip Kerns (1999 – 2000)
- Eugene C. Drogos (1998 – 1999)
- Lee Heavlin (1996 – 1998)
- Paul Fiorentino
- Thom Chegash
- Juan Alva (1992 – 1993)